Friday, January 9, 2009

Education

To be completely honest, I don't know much about drawing. I took a few art classes in high school, but didn't learn much there. Anything I've really learned has come from experience when I was a kid, drawing eyes over and over again or doodling on the wall (seriously, for some reason my parents let me have a wall that I could draw on).

Recently I've decided to broaden my horizons and learn the tricks of the trade a little more. So, staring February 8th, I'm taking a class about the "Fundamentals of Drawing" from a place called The Drawing Studio. The classes are 3 hours long, once a week, and I'll be done in late March. When it's over, I might take another class, depending if I like it.

The idea of this is pretty terrifying, seeing as my last experience with school didn't go so well (depression, dropping out, etc). But hey, there are no grades, it's about something I'm interested in, and I'll have more blog posts! To make it even more fun, my sister Jessica and my brother in-law Casey have decided to take the class with me! So even if it turns out to suck we can make fun of it together.

So bear with me people, I might have some boring pictures of "this is a still-life I had to draw for class", but in the end hopefully I'll be better at drawing and have more confidence in myself. Wish me luck!

11 comments:

Shawn Dickinson said...

That's great! Hopefully this class will be a good experience for you this time around. It should be good, since you're only taking one class this time...you won't be too overwhelmed, so you'll have more time to practice and spend more time on your projects. Good luck!

Hellen H. said...

Super awesome and exciting! No matter if it's a good or bad class, this is going to be a good thing! That works, right?? You're a brave warrior.

Nico said...

ah, my eager little molly. always jonesin' for that fancy book-learnin

Kyle D'Auria said...

I am psyched that you´re taking this class. You and I seem to have similar adversions to formal education. But, I made it through drawing 101, and I know you´ll blow away the competition!

Molly said...

Shawn- You're just about the nicest friend I could ever hope for. Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Hellen- Thank you, fellow warrior.

Nico- If this class involves books I have been horribly misled.

Kyle- Yeah, I think we both have discovered that a large amount of formal education is a bunch of bullshit and red tape. But if this place turns out to be fun, maybe someday we can take a class together!

Workshop Cooker said...

I only hope that we learn the fundamentals of drawing nude transients, it seems to be a dying art. However, you would have to change the name of your blog, mollylikestodrawnudetransients.blogspot.com.
Good Luck!

Nico said...

i can't wait to see results!! If molly's art is breathtaking to me now, I wonder what he post-class art will be like. booya!

Anonymous said...

For nude models, stick one of these on the head

Or stick her on an orange when you do fruit bowls.

Anonymous said...

Only 5 more days until you put up more drawings?!

Molly said...

Yeah, hopefully! Though tonight I'm probably going to blog about packing tape transfers. So stay tuned, my anxious little friend!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what those are, but I can't wait to read about 'em!